- GrowNYC Education
Climate Distress Roundtable and Resources
Updated: Nov 21, 2022
This roundtable discussion between a climate psychologist and four high school students highlights what climate anxiety is, how it affects us daily, and methods for coping with these feelings.
You can view the slides from the workshop here.
Resources for Combatting Climate Anxiety
- Positive News Stories: Is a trigger of your climate anxiety reading negative news about climate change? Check out these sites to see a different side of the narrative:
- Climate solutions on Grist
- Video: We will fix climate change!
- Climate Conversations
- Climate cafés are open, inclusive spaces for people to get together and talk and/or act on climate change. Find virtual climate cafés here.
- Climate Awakening: This organization hosts climate emotion conversations - online small group sharing & listening sessions about the climate emergency.
- Climate Communities
- The Climate Journal Project: an online community that provides guided reflections and challenges, designed to help you build resilience against eco-anxiety.
- Good Grief Network: GGN creates spaces to gather in community, process the painful feelings and realities of our time, and commit to meaningful action. This program moves participants through a 10-step program to process the uncertainty and grief that the climate crisis can awaken in people.
- Climate Aware Therapy: Climate-aware therapists understand that people are having mental health struggles regarding the climate crisis. They treat it as a natural and reasonable reaction to what is happening. If you are feeling depressed, anxious, or overwhelmed by the climate crisis, it might be a great time to seek out a mental health professional who can provide perspectives, tools, and techniques for coping with it. The climate-aware therapist directory is a great starting place to find climate-aware therapists.
- The Lancet Study: Young People's Voices on Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral Injury: A Global Phenomenon
- Nature.com: Young people’s climate anxiety revealed in landmark survey
- New York Times: Climate Change Enters the Therapy Room
- Time: 7 Resources to Help You Cope With Climate Anxiety